Re: Marriage: Helering mythic marriage

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:28:37 +1300

Hi All,

Donald, on the Uroth quest:
> Bear in mind that Storm Tribe is a Heortling/Orlanthi view of things.
> So it probably means a term marriage because that's how the Orlanthi
> see such relationships. Another culture will describe it differently
> and understand it differently.

I'm starting to play with the differences between Helering myths about Heler and "Orlanthi" myths about Heler.

(And then there's the Esrolian version of Vinga, who has quite an influence in my Glorantha...)

> Because this happened before time, he may well have seen his children
> grow up before making his next leap.

I had wondered about that. It would be a bit odd to heroquest: rather like one of those dreams or Star Trek episodes where the protagonist gets to live a whole life and then return to the "real" world with the memories.

> So how does a woman sucked into such a HQ see the result? - that'll
> depend on the goddess involved. Ernalda, for example, will take him
> as one of her husband-protectors.

Ah, but how will that happen? What makes this one a husband-protector? Is it just a term that's applied after the fact to the gods who hung around for a while and actually did some work around the place?

I note that Donald and Alison have quite different takes on the basis of marriage: whether it's primarily an agreement between individuals or a contract between clans. I suspect that it's usually a bit of both, but for reasons of story I'm particularly interested in the cases at the extremes.

> As far as followers of
> other gods go, it'll affect the HQ but not the contractual
> elements of the marriage. Humatki, of course, can't get married -
> as far as the clans are concerned they're dead.

Can I direct you to the box on ST p. 106, and particularly to the Humakti "Hoods" philosophy of marriage? It does seem to be an option, and I imagine that negotiations for the marriage of a resheathed Humakti might somewhat resemble similar negotiations for someone from the other 85%. Somewhat...

Heort's law prescribes a fine for a Humakti sharing a hearth with a pregnant woman (sorry, can't find the citation now: it's in an oddly-placed box somewhere). That makes it hard when the Humakti _is_ the pregnant woman, but assuming the Humakti is the father you've got a range of options, from separate living quarters, to finding a legalism which means you're not tecnically sharing a hearth, to deciding to ignore that particular law because Malan's never seen the need to enforce it.

Cheers,
  Jennifer

--
Jennifer Geard