Heortling Birth and Death

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:57:21 +1100

Which has nothing to do with happy humakti. or horrid humakti for that matter.

There's a Heortling age distribution table (and a plug-in-the-numbers spreadsheet) on the Heortling Stead Project website.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/stead/stead2.html#age

After much discussion and consultation, and initial modelling by Nick Brooke, the distribution we used was based on the following assumptions:

a.. There are 4.7 births per hundred each year, distributed among 21 women of childbearing age (15-44), giving an approximate birth rate of one child per married woman every 2.5-3 years.

a.. Infant mortality is relatively low when compared with ancient/medieval populations: approximately 50% of children survive the first five years of life.

a.. Newborns comprise 4.70% of the population, children aged one to fourteen 31.90%, initiands aged fifteen to nineteen 8.30%, young adults aged twenty to thirty four, 22.10%, mature adults aged thirty five to fifty nine 24.20%, and elders aged sixty and above 8.80%. (Thunder Rebels p.18 indicates half of a stead comprise children. The statement should not be taken literally: it is meant to indicate that the population is self-sustaining. To achieve such a figure would require continual pregnancy by all fertile women.)

There's more on the site.

Cheers :)

John