Re: Re: Malia vs Mallia

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:36:11 +0200 (EET)

David talks:

> I don't recommend that anyone use any existing language for a game,
> for the same reason you shouldn't be saying "Heortlings are Vikings."

I tend to go the other way David. Made up language often sounds just like that, made up.

Old (dead) languages have more appeal to me here. Most of my gamers can recognize some of the Old Norse, or Gaelic roots, or Ancient Greece words I use, and the connection between using existing ancient languages for Gloranthan cultures doesn't seem to hurt.

Loosely assosiating Heortlings with the Viking religion and lifestyle doesn't seem to hurt the game any. I understand how this can vary though.

        -Adept