Re: Other Chieftain Gods

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:48:29 +0000 (GMT)

To clarify, I'm not saying that an Ernaldan cannot lead a clan, but that she does not do so as Orlanth i.e. she governs by different rites. YGMV but my supposition is that if an Ernaldan wanted to lead a clan as Orlanth the Chief, she would have to do so through Vinga. However she could lead the clan using different rites - presumably similar to those used in Esrolia. Similarly I am proposing that an Elmali cannot be Orlanth the chief unless he initiates to Orlanth, but could rule through the Anatyr ring. I also suspect that it has been known for an Ernaldan to take the position of Orlanth the Chief, without worshipping Vinga, but I expect the clan's magic suffered and was weakened, so this is a response to some dire emergency, unusual, and the stuff of stories. But generally a clan's magic is stronger through doing things the way we always have, using the same ring as our ancestors did. As a result I am sure it is harder to become chief if it involves changing our traditions.

As for requirements for the chieftaincy. Not everyone goes on the LBQ during sacred time, although everyone participates in sacred time. Again YGMV, but in mine participation in the LBQ is a requirement for candidates for the chieftaincy and that means you need to do the LBQ in Sacred Time. That, IMG, restricts the candidate list for the chieftaincy.

Sure KoS could be misleading, and sure you should play it your way, I'm just commenting on how I choose to interpret and play it. For my game it works that not everyone can be chief, for yours you might want anyone to be chief. After all we are trying to play a game using the Gloranthan background, rather than define 'truth'.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos