Re: Telmori

From: Norbert Franz <norbert.franz1_at_...>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 23:46 GMT

Way to go, Light Castle... that's a wonderful start.

I faced a similar situation years ago, just after the release of the Hero Wars RPG (Hero Wars, not HeroQuest).

I had recruited a player who insisted on playing only learned, full-time sorcerers or wizards, and I spent a great deal of time explaining the Hero Wars rules to him, as well as how Wizardry worked in Glorantha, where it came from, and that a sorcerous character would probably be well advised being a member of a Malkioni church. I also showed him all the magic keywords from HW, like the Lunar Makabaeus sorcerer, but to no avail. It turned out that he did not like any of the printed, "official" HW keywords at that time, so he invented this character who was a traveller from somewhere in Ramalia, from a community that had been nearly wiped out. He was a member of a sorcery sect called "Those Who Seek," since they believed in the prophecy of the return of a great deity of whom all descriptions and even its name had been lost (or was forbidden to speak!). They couldn't say what their deity would do after its re-manifestation, not even whether it was light or dark, male or female, or ...maybe, both? Those Who Seek were all about travelling to exotic lands and locales to narrow down the search, trying to find out which of the local cults or entities might be Their Secret Deity.

I told the player he needed a grimoire in order to use sorcery effectively, and he created one by himself, called "Flames of Intolerance" or something of that kind. He could look at a door and make it burst into flames, "by the power of the Unknown Deity..."

Frankly, I didn't like that amount of player freedom at the time, since it was used by a player who was, ... well, a bit aloof and difficult to deal with. I also wasn't too sure about allowing a community that had no roots in either Orlanthi or Malkioni society in any of the printed sources. I changed my stance on that, too. After the "Origami Magic" girl in HQ, I know I have to watch for many surprises.