Re: Re: Obtaining a weapon through Heroquesting, part II

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:15:03 -0800

> > But does doing a Godplane quest automatically mean facing
> > adverseries in the w6+ range?

No, but Humakt *is* a being of the w6+ level (At least w8) which means that if you are facing a being that gave *him* trouble, it better be up in that range as well. So the wolf pup better be a w7 (relatively easily beatable by a w8) or better. If Humakt went up against the Vargfreki as statted in the book (13w4 max ability with all augments added in), he'd get an automatic Crit-Fumble *every round*. No contest, game over.

When I look at the power levels
> > of published heroes, it seems that 10w3 is pretty much for a
> > sword, and 10w4 would be enough for the Raven Banner. Am I
> > totally in the wrong ballpark?
>
> > But aren't the _real_ demigods beings in the 10w3 - 10w5
> > range? This is exactly the power-range I was working on?

Yes, they are. But the Heroquest under discussion is emulating a w8 immortal. Those broo? "Real" Humakt can take them without even working up a sweat. 10w8 attacks them all with one swing (-24 penalty for attacking 9 foes at once). Oh dear, he's down to a mere ~6w7 against 10w2 - Auto Crit/Fumble, they are dead (and since this is Humakt, they are dead dead).

> > But if a Godplane quest automatically goes into the w9 range
> > then I don't really see how anybody else than the Red
> > Emperor, or a similar person embodying millions can do it.
> > Even for a minor effect, like the one I'm shooting for.

You just don't try to emulate a God. If you want to do the Aroka heroquest on the GodPlane, where Orlanth (w11ish) had trouble, then don't complain that things you'll face there have w11ish abilities as well. And going to the Godplane *is* meant to be done by Superheroes backed by millions of community supporters giving their all.

> So there's your numbers, and I agree that a W4 opponent should be
> reachable by a determined and prepared *group* of heroes.

It depends on your group. I know that there are groups out there that would sneer at a "mere" 10w4 challenge. Individual heroes in those groups would be able to get to 10w4 relatively easily.

> It sounds as if there's some significant distinction between HeroPlane
> and God Plane that isn't based on numbers, and that I at least am
> missing? Also some default assumptions about which plane published HQs
> are on? After all, there's also "practise quest" level to consider, and
> you do get magic powers back even down there.

Except for the BoatRise, all published quests should be considered to be in the Heroplanes, not God Plane. Figure that if the outcome of the quest has a major effect on Glorantha (the rise of a new star or resurrecting Sheng Seleris, frex), then it takes place in one (or more...) of the major Otherworlds. If it affects the hero and maybe his clan or even tribe, then it's most likely a Heroplane adventure. (BTW, *I* think that the stats in the BoatRise are too low).

One of the differences, and the reason that ability levels can be much lower than they "should be" in HeroPlane quests, is that your opponents on the Heroplane are often (always) other Mortals performing their own Heroquests.(Note page 192, "the Hero Planes", second column). You'll keep running into the same enemies after a while, who are your recurring enemies (as mentioned in BA ans OiD). They'll be raising in abilities at about the same rate as your heroes are, so when you go through "Humakt Raven and Wolf", the hero that is taking the part of Vargfreki (and his "invisible" companions, who are manifesting as his Howl, Bite, etc) is about the same level of experience as the main hero (and his companions - who are taking the parts of his Sword, Shield, etc). As your hero grows in power, so does "Vargfreki", and when you do the "Humakt Steals back his Sword heroquest", your opponent is about the same level of power as you are, etc.. You might not even be involved in the "same" story- You are on the Humakt, Rave, Wolf heroquest and your opponent is a wolf pup named Vargfreki. But he is really a Grazer hero and he is on the "Vardan Steals the Blue-eyed Stallion" quest and *you* appear as the Five-Armed Death.

Messing around in the God (and other) planes is messing around with System Privileges (for you computer types out there...). If you want, you *can* do a complete reboot of Glorantha-as-it-is-known: make Ragnaglar win in the Sex Pit. Make Orlanth rule differently when Thed came demanding Justice. Keep Umath from being concieved. All you need is high skills and some backing...

RR
- Richelieu