Re: Heroquest power-level (was Ravenswing)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:21:24 -0800

:
> > Say you want to prove that the Moon is really Orlanth's
> > long-lost sister, and they should just kiss and make up. If
> > you quest on the Hero Plane, you might be able to prove it to
> > yourself, and anyone who was there with you.
> > You might be able to convince peopel in small units. But to
> > make it "really, truely so", you would have to go to the God
> > Plane and face w10+ difficulties (because of the level of
> > diety you're dealing with). But if you succeeded there, then
> > it *would* be so.
>
> And at a guess, if you did the HeroPlane version, but in "every" tribe
> (yes, I know, this would take a while), you'd end up with a different
> version of the story in every tribe? So while the basic principle might
> remain the same, details would vary wildly?

I think so, yes. After all, the opposition won't "know" the myth, so won't approach it the same way. One group will send out it's best warriors, another will attempt to seduce them apart, another may try to trade, etc. Each will then have the story of how "the Moon defeated all her enemies to prove her kinship", or "how She resisted the seductions of Chaos and remained true to her brother", or "How she turned the tables on the Wicked Merchant who wanted to buy Her loyalty".

Since is highly experimental Heroquesting, you don't really have to wory about the "one one time through in each position" rule.

> It now occurs to me that this is a pretty good description of most basic
> Orlanthi myths! Each clan has their own variation, don't they?

*I* think they do - they all have the basics, but some details vary - did Orlanth carry a sword or a spear? (or, more mythically, "Was he accompanied by Humakt or Elmal?"). This is where the whole idea of "Vanilla" comes in (before the thread got hijacked by Trollkin urine). Some player writes a myth and heroquest for his group: "How Elmal Stole the Golden Pears". He sends it here to HeroQuest-RPG, where it is read by other narrators. "Wow", these narrators say, "I want to run that for my group. But I want to make a few tweaks because I've got a player whose hero has a high See in Darkness ability and I want her to use it, so *this* station will take place in the Dark, and anyway, all my players read HQ-RPG, so I gotta change it anyway, or they'll know all the twists and turns." Voila, a non-Vanilla Heroquest. Same thing happens in Glorantha - Clan A has a myth about "How Elmal stole the Golden Pears" where this staion takes place underwater, Clan B has it where the action takes place in the Darkness. Both are "true" (for Orlanthi values of "truth").

That's where the "search out as many versions of the Quest that you can" becomes important - if you know that there are these variations, you'll be prepared for each eventuality. Of course, there is *always* something different when you go through a Heroquest, even a Practice one. But knowing ahead of time that Clan C says their hero fought Dogs at the Ford through the Ice while Clan D say it fought Ravens there and Clan E said it hid from the Hrolli, could be the difference between completing the quest or not.

RR
- Richelieu