Re: Carmanian Humakti (was Yanafal Tarnils)

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:55:44 -0500

On 21 Mar 2005 at 1:48, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

 > Presumably the Carmanians have a fairly different view of Humakt
> > than a bunch of fur-garmented, woad-wearing, sword-wielding lunatics
> > with a death wish.

That's why I had asked if he was a common Death god to the Empire. Obviously he survived in Carmania in some form. And, as I said, I seem to recall something about him showing up in Ralios. I can only assume that the Lunar Provinces and possibly all the way up to Syllia (with its strong Orlanthi roots) are likely to still have Humakt wandering around as Death God.

(This might start wandering off into Digest territory)

But does the middle of the old Dara Happan region know him? Who was the Death god to the Celestial Pantheon? I have no idea. I know there is that theory stating that the Crimson Bat was once the Rinilldi Death god, so that implies that Humakt wasn't necessarily the guy.

> > Off-hand, I think it was the God Learners who figured out that the
> > two cults worship the same god.

Huh. I didn't think the God Learners got that far inland in their influence. But that would certainly be something I see as possible. Although if that was the case, I would think that unless the Solar death God is completely incompatible, they would have conflated that one into Humakt as well.

> This reminds me. Since my Sartar game tend's to swirl pretty much around
> the Household of Death, and the Heortling Humakti in general, I'm going
> to need to figure out some things about he Carmanian (Lunar, that is)
> Humakti for the contrast.
>
> With the Ligth/Dark dualism the Carmanian humakti seem to have great
> potential for cinematic bad guys.
>
> How far can we go from the Heortling view of Humakt while still
> remaining Humakti? Death is obviously the main thing, as Greg often
> keeps reminding us. A serial killer may be just as good in the eyes of
> Humakt as the most honourable Heorling warrior... if not better.

> But is torture ok? What about messing with the undead?

I think Death is the one fixed point. Certainly the Hum'akt blurb in ILH has Death still. (With Battle and Combat.) The line also goes "Hum;akt is Death, worshipped by the outsider and the avenger."

I don't think you have a Lunar Humakti, do you? That's Yarnafal Tarnils. And since he waas viewed as cheating by coming back from the dead, I would say thay the Carmanian Hum'Akti don't condone undead either. (I would assume that the Lunar Yarnafallians are all for it.)

LC