RE: Re: Example of why fan material policies are a legal necessity

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:41:08 -0000

> However, many of the fans are
> outside the US, and thus only limited portions of the fan
> policy really apply to them.

And, remember, the Policy does cover this right at the start.

"this policy applies to Publications and Other Usage in all languages and
places in the world to the maximum extent that its provisions are allowed by law.
This policy is not intended to limit or infringe on "fair use" rights granted by applicable laws in the United States or elsewhere in the world. The intent of ISSARIES is that all portions of the policy be severable, so that if any part or parts of it are found to be inapplicable, unlawful, or otherwise unenforceable in a specific situation, all applicable sections will remain in force to the maximum extent allowed by law."

Naturally it doesn't say "most of it is illegal in Britain", because even if that were true, they'd have to list the copyright/IP law of every country in the world and its effects on this Policy. And keep it up to date. Daft. Far better to have the get-out clause at the start, like they've done. We can (or at least, should) sort out our own clashes with local law.

No, I'm not a lawyer, or anything like one. But I do read and write specs for computer programs, and that means precise use of language. That paragraph at the front, like all the rest, means exactly what it says, and is there for a reason. (Or so I assume. Assuming the entire thing was written by hostile idiots doesn't seem to be constructive or likely.)