Re: Fan Policy

From: egm1969 <EGM_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:16:05 -0000

Jane wrote:

> FWIW, anything I've had published in fanzines, I've
> retained copyright (or we as a a group of authors
> have). I can't remember the exact clause, but I
> believe the fanzine could do as many reprints as they
> felt like without permission, or something. Payment
> was a free copy of the mag in question (this was a
> large part of the reason I was doing the writing!)
>
> Again, fair and reasonable.
>
> AFAIK none of my exact wording ever made it into any
> Issaries publication - concepts, yes, but not wording.
> So I can't comment on copyright. But they've always
> been if anything overgenerous about credit and
> "contributors copies".

This is what I suspected. So what exists is a situation where you (as an example - I am using a generic you - not specifically you Jane) may have written something, some of which is original and some of which may be derivative from an Issaries copyright, over which you have copyright.

Now if Issaries publishes something that is derivative of your copyrighted work in any way, then they would have to get your permission to publish it. As Issaries is publishing this work for commercial gain, then in theory you could sue Issaries for damages if they didn't get your permission.

I can totally see from Issaries' point of view why it would want to clear up the situation regarding copyright and control the issue of licenses to use their materials. With such a large base of fans writing materials based on Glorantha and copyrighting their work, this could easily become a real mess (if, from what others have alluded to it isn't already).

Ed