Inspiration for common magic (Alvin Maker)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:47:15 +0300 (EEST)

I'll warmly recommend Orson Scott Card's "Alwin Maker" series to all you Glorantha fans. Specifically the folk magic "knacks" and hexes in the books are really remeniscent of the folk magics of Glorantha.

I came accross the books already in the RQ era (and may have influenced the modern vision of the Aldryami by advertising the "Green Song" of the Red men in the books on the Gloranthan Digest), and even then the books helped me envision the spirit magic of the game.

Actually I'd be pretty surprised if the books have not been, in part, an inspiration for the handling of Common magic in HQ.

The books describe an alternative (and more magical) history of the North America, and indeed, the whole world.

        -Adept