Re: Orlanthi gods in the Lunar Empire

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:59:15 -0500

At 04:05 AM 3/29/2005, Nick Eden wrote:
>In a few places Lhankhor Mhy is the god of libraries, but generally
>he's the slightly weird guy in the chief's hall that knows the Law and
>can argue the hind leg off a donkey.

         I think that Lhankor Mhy is never the god of libraries. He is the god of knowledge, however that knowledge is obtained (research, observation, prophecy, etc.). Where LM "libraries" exist, they are repositories of information -- texts, commentaries, etc. Despite the writing that's been done about organizational systems in LM libraries, I think all of these systems are for the benefit of the priest, not any other users (and thus they change with the priests). LM is not about users accessing information, he's about holding onto information as a "product" that can enhance the sage's status or wealth or whatever. So LM is a scholar, not a librarian, although he may occasionally act like a librarian (like a professor who has a large collection of books useful to her studies organized in some system that makes sense to her).

         In contrast, Irripi Ontor seems more like a god of libraries (as well as other things), since he is concerned with other people finding and using knowledge. Busarian is a god of archives, storage for information either in use or past its first use but still of interest to its creators. Busarian is also a god of bureaucrats, the users of his information.

         Anyway, that's my two cents (as a librarian).

Peter Larsen