RE: Re: Language

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:43:55 +1200

At 08:03 AM 3/31/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>And as another southern a bit further south than Sam, I understood that
>fine, but need subtitles for Glaswegians,

Even for Taggart? (FWIW when shown in France, Taggart was dubbed speaking pure Parisian French).

>and would like them for
>Eastenders (if I wanted to watch it, that is, which fortunately I
>don't).

A language spoken in glottal stops.

Obglorantha: Accents can be quite useful for fostering miscommunication. There's a story about Chiang Kai-Shek who jumped up and shouted "Fallacious Argument" during a heated argument with a subordinate. The subordinate fell silent, quickly left the room and wasn't seen for the next month because Chiang's accent made "Fallacious Argument" sound like "Immediate Execution".

On the otherside of the coin, knowing a few words of a foreign language can be very stressful at times. The courts here remember the time when a Korean sailor was arrested for fighting the night before he was due to set sail. In court the next morning, the Judge assessed the case and made some order about the execution of a warrant. Now the Korean didn't understand much english but he did understand the ordinary meaning of "execute"...

--Peter Metcalfe

--Peter Metcalfe