Language

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:56:06 -0500

 I know the rulebook says not to stress about language, but I must admit I am curious about the relationships of the languages in the Dragon Pass area. The examples provide a -10 improv modifier for a related but different language (Heortling to Esrolian).

Since my game is in Karse, I wouldn't mind taking advantage of the flavour this provides. I notice that every homeland in the main book has its own language, but what's related and what isn't is hardly specified.

So.

Heortling and Esrolian are related.
The game actually gives the heortling homeland "speak Sartarite" as a language. Do I assume those are interchangeable, or is Heortlander speech and Sartarite speech just really similar?

Esvulari is how different from Heortling since the cultures are so close?

Tarsh fits in how? (I see it being close to Sartarite perhaps, but distant from Esrolian.)

That covers pretty much all I need for the human languages in my game. Boatspeech and Tradetalk are their own cases. New Pelorian might get spoken by some Lunars, and both it and Dara Happan have no relation to the other languages mentioned.

Any thoughts?

LC