Re: Fiends and Cacodemon

From: Norbert Franz <norbert.franz1_at_...>
Date: 22 Apr 2005 23:18 GMT

"Mikko Rintasaari" <mikrin_at_...> wrote:
> When characters start being as tough as Jar-Eel or
> Harrek without being the Avatar of a living God (or is
> the white bear a spirit?) or the champion of a 10 million
> person magical empire, then something has propably gone
> wrong with the experiense and character development.
>
> What works for you is fine for your game, of course.
> [...]
> 10w2 Clan Champion
> 10w3 Major Hero
> 10w4 Superhero

Hello Mikko!

Interesting examples all round. It's ironic that this topic came up today, now that I am actively looking for a group to play HeroQuest with and I'm having a hard time to get _anything_ done roleplaying-wise.

I never saw the Hero Point costs in the book as a system that makes characters powerful too fast, which mainly has to do with the sad old fact that I do not get to play with a group nearly as often as I'd like to.

Even if I did have a chance to play HeroQuest, say, every other weekend, i.e. 26 weekends out of 52, chances are none of the characters would grow too fast. 26 times 6 HP = 156 HP
Let's round that to 160 HP. 160 / 20 = 8. That would be 8 Masteries overall in a year, no fudging involved. But given that it now costs 6 HP to go up +1 in an affinity with non-concentrated magic, which is what most player-characters have, it would only allow growth by a little over 1 mastery.

Cacodemon I haven't thought about much so far, but I would make him a lesser deity in the xW5 - xW6 range.