Re: Duration of Campaigns

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 20:40:07 -0000

As a narrator, my plan has almost always been for a long term campaign. My Rass Family Game has been running since late 1999 or early 2000--and in the past 3 years, that's running more or less _every week_, averaging 40+ sessions a year. I started with the prerelease  preview of Hero Wars!

In that time, the campaign has traversed about 4 years of game time, though 2 of those passed quickly while the heroes were essentially lost in the hero world.

>From day one, that game has always been intended to focus on the great epic of Pavis'
rebirth as a city, and to culminate at the Gate to the Green Age. (And by the way has just about nothing to do with Ian Thompson's vision of Pavis.) I hope we might get to the climax in another couple of years of real time.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with something I can't ever recall having done before-- I'm running a "side" game spun off from the Rass game. A Teshnan character had to return to his homeland (to stop the assassination attempts on his life, at the very least) and from day one I have always intended this game to be fast paced and ended quickly, with the lead character returned to the Rass game if he survives. So that Teshnos game will hopefully conclude before the summer ends.

I just love long term, epic games. The potential for payoff on something built up slowly, subtly over many sessions is much greater. And now that I'm running something new, I realize how much harder that is, where I don't have the luxury of a large shared understanding of the location, the politics, the places that have come from many shared sessions.

Mike Dawson
http://differentcomputers.com/differentgames/