Re: Speaking of Magic n' Stuff...

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:16:50 -0000

---Tony Davis wrote:

> So. The HQ book has these tests that if you fail, you
> can get kicked out of your religion, etc. What
> happens to a monotheist who gets kicked out of his
> religion...

He's cut off from his social support network, for one, which is pretty bad in itself. He becomes subject to 'Curse Apostate' spells, should his ex-Church have those, and he's more likely to be targeted by other curses - being an outlaw, and all.

> especially if he is an apprentice wizard.
> I mean, what you essentially have is someone who is
> wandering around casting spells unsupervised and
> stuff.

Typically apprentice wizards who get kicked out of their order don't leave the Church of its a part - excommunication would seem a rather harsh punishment for failing one's exams! And the only spells they've got are common magic - petty stuff that the order's not likely to be worried about. They have got their Symbolic Sight and, if they're kicked out near the end of the apprenticeship, Open Portal of Power. The latter is rather more worrying than the former, but even so, if you open a portal to one of your order's nodes... well, whatever is on the other side isn't likely to be too friendly to you (especially if you have gone the full apostasy route).

> I've written up an Aeolian apostate who was kicked out
> of his church, traded some of his apprentice common
> magick to the No God Church and went on walkabout. I
> can't see any reason that he wouldn't be able to pull
> it off, except perhaps that no one will ever talk to
> him again.
>
> Does the Aeolian church have 'essences of
> retribution?'

The 'no one will ever talk to him again' seems the primary method of retribution employed by the Aeolians, as they don't have specific curses to direct at apostates. Unless 'Excommunicate Sinner' has the effect of some generic, long-term curse, I suppose - but I imagine it's just a mark of some kind, making the culprit instantly identifiable to all those he's abandoned.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic