Re: HeroQuest Vision

From: orlanthumathi <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:33:53 -0000

John Hughes wrote:
"I'd be very interested to hear what people understand by 'heroquest vision' ".

Forgive me if I answer with obvious stuff but I want to be inclusive and expand the debate.

I would be wary of defining such things as HeroQuest Vision in specific terms. There are a number of insights into Heroquesting that it could relate to. I would suggest using it as a skill only picked up with practical experience or success in usage of these insights, but only using the one skill to represent them all.

--

Identification. At an initial level you begin questing in major worship ceremonies and a beginner will only see the broad themes in the ritual quest and mainly watch the Priests as they act in their gods footsteps. But a slightly more experienced person who has learnt a few of his gods feats, may recognize the specific actions and manner of the priests or identify with that portion of the ritual personally and meet a more personal challenge.

Example: During a ritual the Chalana Arroy priestess makes a challenge to the diseases effecting the clan. The new initiate, eyes glued to the priestess make an unconscious warding against disease, an initiate with Fight Disease Spirit prays to Pranjala to aid the priestess, the Pranjala Devotee remembers one of Pranjala's 100 trails and readies themselves for a contest.

--

Recognizing the current mythical situation. You never know what exactly you will meet at a station, the myth may specify a particular deity but you may only meet a lesser representation and fail to recognize it. This is especially true in low-power quests as the Mythic Web is less rigid.

Example: At the waterfall Orlanth Adventurous met either Grandfather Salmon or Issaries Goldentounge, but you arrive at the waterfall and see a newtling fishing on a raft in the river. Do you greet him as a swimmer or a tracker, or do you ignore him and wait for someone else.

--

Clarification, Change and Reduction were once terms used to describe the process of recognising the Divine/Spirit/Essence nature of otherwise different entities or mixed entities. These skills could be simplified into HQ Vision.

Example: you meet a Storm Cloud Shaman on a heroquest but manipulate the situation to associate him with Heler the Rain God and exchange a gift of Blue Woad in return for favourable rain.

--

Ranging is the term used for frequently changing paths on the Heroplane to searh out new boons or force yourself into situations that your own myths don't allow. The insight required to recognise alternative choices and paths could be associated with HQ Vision. This would involve recognising which myth other characters in the quest are following.

Example: an Orlanthi fights an Urox Warrior but instead of trying to win and progress along the blocked path as described in the myth he declares the fight a draw and suggests a respectful toast to War which necessitates joining the Uroxi over the rope bridge to Kargan Tor's Hall for a suitable drink.

--

Jane's example is also relevant:
"being able to distinguish individuals and sort out who they are in the mundane plane",

--

That turned into a longer answer than I expected, hope it helps.

Jamie
Orlanth-Umathi

P.S. if Martin Hawley is lurking let me know. I want to bounce some Soul Bird ideas off of you and I still can't locate you current e-mail address.