Re: Re: Hendreiki Kings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:17:27 +1200

At 05:52 PM 6/7/2005 +0200, you wrote:

> > All I can say is that in a Country in which the Pharaonic avatar
> > is chosen through success in the tournament of the Masters of
> > Luck and Death, it would be extremely odd for one of the Twelve
> > _not_ to use heroquesting in response to a political crisis or
> > another.

>Full agreement here. Death on a "practice" heroquest while the hero plane
>is in disorder or even chaos seemed a likely cause for a demise.

I'm not sure the epithet of "practice" is warranted here. Practice quests are done in the mortal world (Heroquest p191) whereas Owain was supposed to have died after a battle on the Other Side.

>However: how did the Andrinic kings appoint their heirs? Did they have a
>dynasty by bloodline, by membership in a heroband (the Sheriffs of the
>Kingdom, as a successor to the real Larnsti), or what?

In keeping with the general nature of the Country, I think Heortland held a semi-tournament and the best Master of Luck and Death was made the New King. The tournament is slanted towards members of the current order but there is always the chance of an outsider becoming King of Heortland and that Heortland has a few unusual kings as a result.

--Peter Metcalfe