RE: Re: Hendreiki Kings

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:22:09 +0100

> I don't think you guys are thinking about this quite right. The
> contestants are not RPG-gamers. The point is not to advance ones
> character, but not have the GM/Narrator take the character away from
> you.

> And the winner? The winner get's _immortality_! He get's to
> live forever
> on the hero-plane. Keeping his good looks, skills and powers,
> and living as a demigod in an exciting and magical realm.
>
> Do you guys really think the price is not worth striving for?

Try comparing this to a much lower level idea - the bodyguard, who really is devoted to the king/hero he's guarding. There's an attack, he throws himself in the way of the sword, he dies. And he does so quite deliberately, and can't think of a more perfect way to end his life. People do this. It's very hard for most of us to imagine, because not many "heroes" these days inspire that sort of loyalty, but they do.

If you win the MoLaD tourney, you get to give your body to the Pharoah. That *is* your reward. Little things like immortality are a bonus.

Unless of course the Gloranthan character is a mini-maxing individualist who wants to play games with the HeroPlane, and whom everyone around him would regard as a heretic and blasphemer if they had the foggiest idea what he was up to...