Re: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:48:19 +1200

At 10:49 AM 6/20/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>Logically, there have to be two questions here (please
>check my logic):
>
>1. Are Inora and White Princess the same entity?
>
>2. If so, is this entity a spirit or a goddess?
>
>On the first, there is plenty of evidence that --
>outside of Glorantha -- people believed they were the
>same entity.

And in Prax as well.

>Is there incontrovertible in-Glorantha
>evidence proving that they are the same entity? They
>might just be similar, and thus often confused for one
>another. Inora could be more of the goddess of the
>mountaintops; where White Princess is the spirit that
>brins snow to the Greatlands.

         Orlanth, Praxian, and Troll pantheons -- goddess of
         mountaintop winter

         Inora is the goddess of winter mountain tops. Her
         cool beauty descends to the lowlands, and in Prax
         sometimes brings water to the most arid regions.
         Her calm beauty shrouds an icy wrath which brings
         silent devastation

         http://www.glorantha.com/library/prosopaedia/i.html

>All that said, if they are the same, I would tend
>towards her being a divine entity. This is not
>because of textual references, but because of story
>line. I don't think there was snow in Genert's
>Garden.

Look up the reference to the Winter Palace in Drastic: Prax. The Winter Spirits were imprisoned there during the Golden Age whereas the Greatlands do not have problems with the Outside until the start of the Storm Age.

If that is the myth you were referring to, then it's actually part of the olde unpublished Praxpak materials.

>Her being an Outlander explains why
>she is not a spirit (especially to Praxians).

But she is a spirit because she is contactable by Praxian Shamans.

>Praxians would have to worship her by misapplied
>worship then.

She wouldn't be able to appear on the map as a spirit if her cult was misapplied worship (like the Sword brothers are).

--Peter Metcalfe