Winter saints and tripartate mountains

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:53:01 -0400

On Tue, 2005-21-06 at 22:23 +0100, Trotsky wrote:
> I'm sure there could be a saint of Survival in Cold Weather (the
> Catholic Church has two [1]), if that's close enough. And a wizardry or
> sorcerous order that uses the power of cold is also a distinct possibility.

Again true. But the saint is going to be about surviving the cold, not the power of the cold itself. A subtle, but important distinction. Mind you, not having seen a write up of St Worlath, I'm not sure if that kind of thing holds all the time.

As for the sorcerous order, it teaches you the rules that control the cold, it doesn't need to have an anthropomorphic representative for that.

> Sure. I'd be surprised if the mountains of the west don't have essences.
> Some of them may have gods or spirits, too, but most of them probably
> won't. Of course, this probably wouldn't apply near Dragon Pass
> (although there's an essence river - so you never know).

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong here. With the exceptions of things that are purely one otherworld or the other such as the Creek, Stream, and River (who are all members of the Water Tribe or am I misremembering that?) or things like those diamonds of pure essence, everything in the mortal world is mixed, right? So while a given mountain might have a daimon/god that is most associated with it, it probably still also has a spirit and an essence, even if they are not well known or very weak. So from a gaming point of view, I'd allow anyone access through any otherworld if they really needed it or it made for a good story. (Obviously, if them NOT having access made for a good story, I'd do that too. I'm easy. :> )

LC