Re: Jar-Eel's cult

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:01:34 -0700

> >Capital-H Heroes and Capital-S Superheroes can be thought of as "demigods
> >in training", and the final step of that training is making the
transition
> >from a Middle-world being to a Otherside being.
>
> Actually I like this explanation a lot. I think it makes sense, of course,
> for Jar-Eel to be a Natha worshipper but...
>
> Well here's how I'm seeing the whole process of development for
> "post-mortals." As they get into the 4 mastery range with abilities that
are
> starting to become magical themselves without being magic from another
> being, what's going on is that they're starting to create their own magic.
> If a being starts at this point to collect followers who want to know how
> do the things he does well, and they start to emulate him, this seems like
> the founding of a Hero Cult. If the being passes in this state, then it
> seems to me that people may then pass down the feats that the character
> accomplished under the Aegis of the god in question. I'm assuming this is
> where Jar-Eel was a while back.

Totally un-officially,

Assuming your best skills are in the broad catagories below, and nothing is guaranteed after you leave this world, but generally:

If you apotheosize while a W3 Hero, you'll end up as a Hero Cult in your cult, a sub-practice as part of a greater practice, a very minor saint in a Church, or the writer of a Spell or two.

If you go as a W4 Superhero, you'll become a Subcult of your cult, a major subset of a Practice, a minor Saint, or wrote a single Grimoire.

If you get to W6-7, you're getting to be your own small Cult (one of those local-to-the-tribe type ones), Practice, Order or School

W7-9, and you're a God known in your culture, might be able to start a whole (small) Tradition, or become a prophet and start a (small) church or entoire Wizardry school.

At W9+, you're a getting to be a Great God, equivalent of Orlanth or the Goddess (but they are more like W12...)

Around W4-W5, you start forging ahead on your own - your religious affiliation doesn't define you as much as what you have done yourself. It's useful to have your old magics, but you've probably gotten better "stuff"

(magic, mundane abilities, equipment, wierd followers, etc) heroquesting -
Harrek's bearskin cloak, for example, is more important than whatever he
worshipped as a kid in Cimmer... err, the Rathori lands.

> The point here being that I think a cool way to run Jar-Eel is with that,
> dare I say it, hubris, of getting out from under Natha, and starting to
look
> forward to becoming her own goddess. Oh, it might not be any time soon.
But
> to say that she worships Natha, might be incorrect at this point. Natha
> might still be the source of much of Jar-Eel's power, but on a more and
more
> equal level where Jar-Eel is almost demanding (might be too strong a word,
> but you get the drift) the respect of the goddess.

The Lunars actually *encourage* people to become gods. Jar-Eel is the product of the Lunar version of genetic manipulation to get a person capable of becoming a goddess. Natha will understand, really.

RR
- Richelieu