Trickster's Lib

From: Richard <blueaxe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:36:24 +0100

> > > However you need to distinguish between what people do to their
> > > own children and what they do to other people's especially if they
> > > are from a different community.
>
> I was actually thinking about honor killings by parents who are
> outraged their daughters have married inappropriately.

Yes, if a person feels that they are humiliated in some way they can end up doing realy crazy things.

However does this necessarly apply to tricksters' kin? Eurmiral's contribution to the lightbringers quest seems to have bought his folowers a place in Orlanthi culture.

Let me, if I may, illistate my point with an example from my own life:-

Some years ago I had a next door neighbour who, amoungst other things, would scour the local area for scrap wood so that he could light a bomfire whenever we put washing out to dry. I asked one of his associates about this strange ritual and got the uncomcerned reply "Auch, thats just Wully for you."

Personaly I think that Wully was in need of psyciatric help but his peer group accepted him as part of the landscape. Much as some parents seem to think it's 'normal' for thier children to throw eggs at one's windows.

I would suggest that the actions of tricksters get the same kind of reacion from Orlanthi - "Auch, thats just tricksters for you." Or to put it another way - "We stopped persecuting young women for humiliating their parents by having sex before marriage because our expectations of young women's behavior changed after we performed the hero quest called 'Women's liberation'. Orlanthi stopped perceiving tricksters social behavior as a reflection of the trickster's kin's honor after the Lightbringer Quest because they now considered it as 'normal' "

-R.