RE: Eurmali Plausible? (was Re: Eurmali)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:59:16 +0100

> > There's a position for an Eurmali on the ring. I suspect it is
> > often vacant even where there is a bonded Eurmali to fill it.
> With all these rings I think there's a lot of substitution
> > anyway.

LC:
> Since I don't have BA, I have to ask the following question... do the
> roles need to be filled by the appropriate person? ...
> It certainly seems to me that substitution is the norm, not the
> exception. Does BA imply otherwise?

Let me check. P14, on clan rings in general. "Members of the inner ring do not have to worship the deity whose role they fill. Clans usually seek to place such a worshipper if they can. However, clans often wll not have a single member who worships Chalana Arroy, Lhankor Mhy, or other unusual deities, whose cult attitudes often conflict with the needs of a clan."

I can't find any such general clause for tribal rings, but, p17, on the High Council or Traditional Council positions: "Eurmal: trickster and scapegoat. This flaunts the (unlucky) number of thirteen by including the trickster consciously into the membership. Inclusion of this unreliable deity is strictly ceremonial, as can be noted by the regular mistreatment dealt to tricksters at high council meetings."