RE: Re: Casting feats on others

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:06:57 +0100

> Mechanically, there is no reason why your Vingan could not have a
> whole entourage of treetop-trotters, so long as she overcame that
> multiple-target penalty and they were close to her when she invoked
> the feat.

Fine! And perhaps if they also knew the feat (but not very well!) they could augment her casting of it?

> 1. Feats are about _becoming the god(dess)_ -- it is one thing to
> bring ones junior sisters in Vinga along on a treetop jog. Indeed, I
> could see it as the stuff of pre-initiation rite ('follow Vinga's
> ways and just see what you can accomplish!')

Yes, I like this.

> but the Vingan or her
> devotee peers might be less comfortable with using it to boost a
> bunch of hairy-bottomed Uroxi.

Quite.... Or even some less controvertial group. The thought that sparked all this off was Kallyr having a non-Vingan bodyguard, and me wondering how he keeps up with her. Life is easier for him now she's no longer Vanganthi, of course!

> 2. And practical? Well, remember that a bad failure can harm the
> devotee. This might be considered Vinga punishing her for trying to
> use her magis on said Uroxi.

If one were biased that way, I'm sure it could. Pass me a scapegoat...

> And one entertainingly nasty point to
> bear in mind: what happens to them if the caster dies or is knocked
> unconscious? Were I a Lunar hunter-killer in that situation watching
> the devotee cast her magics, as soon as everyone was nice and high
> up, I'd make damn sure my commandoes did everything they could to
> zap her and watch it rain Uroxi!

I love it! That experiment is going to have to be made. How do they identify which one's the one doing the casting, do you think? I even know which devotee and whose idea it was... WW list were asking for ways in which Kallyr and Broyan manage interesting cock-ups, and this looks like a good one.