Re: Visible Magic

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:56:23 +0000

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:41:18 -0000, "Mark Galeotti" <hia15_at_...> wrote:

>Yes: I lie the idea of many magical effects being visible in an
>almost cartoonish sense (the sword that suddenly expands, though the
>mind boggles at Vinga's Mile-Long Javelin!)

I can imagine Lunar troops, experienced in war against the Heortlings, hearing an approaching whistle and diving to the ground yelling "INCOMING!"...
>but what about magics
>relating to deception?

These were the sort that got me most dis-enamoured in visible magic. Sure, against the victim, I can imagine glittering flecks in the air, strange wobbly voice effects, etc. - but surely everyone else must notice them too!

>I suppose one can say that, come to think of it, the trader looks
>guileless and friendly, his voice is soothing and honest.

"These are not the Heortlings you want""
"erm... These are not the Heortlings we want"
"We can move along"
"ahh... OK, move along there!"

Wulf