Re: Dawn campaign?

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:04:17 EDT

 I'm toying with the idea of setting a campaign at the Dawn.

This is a great idea. I'm all for it. Load sof potential and excellent fun but....

 Partly this is because my gaming group is overwhelmed by all the Glorantha
> knowledge these days; and partly it's to capture a certain world of myth /
> Bronze Age feel.

Personally, I don't think this will help too much. One could set your game at almost any time period, or in any area of Glorantha and there's still loads of stuff that you might feel that you need to know, if you're that way inclined. OTOH, you can make stuff up with wild abandon in most places as well.

> First, I dimly remember mention of this before - has anyone done this? If
> so, are there any reference materials (websites, etc) that I could look at?

I've set games in other time periods, not the dawn yet though. It gives an interesting perspective on stuff, but IMO, to remain true to canon (if that's what you want to do) it actually requires more research - checking what has and hasn't happened.

> Second, what are the key things I should keep in mind? Aside from the big
> geomythopolitical items (no Lunars, no history of godlearners, Arkat & Nysalor,
> etc), what would be different from the culture (esp Heortling) as described
> in the books?

Again, it depends where you are. I mean, you could wake up on a starlit field and start being a proto-Pentan, or you could be some sort of remnant survivors who make contact with the awakeners, or whatever. But really, again IMO, you do not reduce the amount of esoteric Gloranthan knowledge compared with being a Balazaring for example.

>From my own point of view, I love the esoteric research involved, that's part
of the fun. but then I'm a Glorantha geek.

Rgds,
Keith