Re: Saying thank you!

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 07:33:45 -0000

> For what it's worth: In our Sartar campaign, our characters all
have
> "Speak Sartarite" at 17. They take a -10 improvisation penalty to
> speak to Tarshites, including Exiles (and presumably folks from Far
> Point -- I don't recall). Because Tarshite and Sartarite are
closely
> related, we have been allowed to spend a hero point for our
characters
> to learn Tarshite starting at 13 while in Tarshite lands.

What I've done is apply a -10 improvisation penalty on Heortling speakers trying to speak a South Pelorian Heortling language. I also apply a -10 improvisation penalty on Heortling speakers trying to speak Esrolian. I think it is an even bigger penalty to try to speak Manirian, Ralian and Talastari.

> Our characters have a lower penalty (-5) speaking to people from
south
> of Sartar (Heortland), because our characters' ancestors migrated
> Sartar from there. The Tarshites, on the other hand, have been
> completely separated from our characters' kin for some 300 years.

I think Sartarite is now a Heortling dialect that has some difference with Hendriki Heortling - but I like having dialects. I also like language barriers.:)

Jeff