Re: Re: dialect/jargon

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:47:28 -0800

> > > Tradetalk at a high level might operate like this,
> >
> >I think the point of trade-talk is mostly to be the opposite of this.
>
> I agree, but that's why I said "at a high level." That is, I imagine most
> tradetalk actually occurs at the default 6 level. But that Merchants
should
> get it at keyword level. Some master merchant with 5W Tradetalk might be
> able to speak to another merchant in a way to expedite communication, but
> which would also alienate the casual trade talk person.

Tradetalk is *always* going to sound like Hollywood Indian-speak, or the docks of Shanghai ("you load-em shippie chop-chop"). Even at high levels, it's going to sound like that, it's the nature of the language. If a merchant wants to sound sophisticated, he'll learn the language of the person he's talking to.

> So you're saying that every ability has related language. Probably part of
> the ability itself then, yes? No need for additional abilities to be
listed.

Related *vocabulary*, not language. Grammer, sentence structure, etc isn't going to change, it'll just have more words for stuff you do. To us, it's a old-fshioned sailing ship with sails on its masts. To a sailor, it's a 24-gun frigate. The Main mast carries (from top to bottom) the Main Royal, Main Topgallant, Main Topsail and Main Course (and there are 15 other specifically-named sheets (sails) in the rigging.. )

> >So the sailor with low language skills ends up
> >repeating slowly and loudly "No, you hitch that sheet to the port
> >cleat" while the one with good skills can explain "Oh, take that rope
> >and tie it around that sort of bent post over on the left."
>
> So, the speed of the communication is in question. I think this is often
the
> case with such contests. It's not a matter of whether or not the
information
> can be conveyed correctly eventually in many cases (the sailor can watch
you
> do the job and critique on the way), but largely just how long the
teaching
> takes. Rather, contests would be like "Can I learn to sail before reaching
> the next port?" Which depends a lot on whether or not the sailor is trying
> to make it hard by using lots of jargon, or trying to use his language
> ability to make it easier.

Usually the rope's end teaches sailing pretty fast...

RR
- Richelieu