Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:56:07 -0000

Dr Moose:
> > I know that Orlanth worship is outlawed and a death penalty
rests
> on the
> > heads of his priests, but how much can this really be enforced?

Jeff:
> What that means has probably changed with time. I think Euglyptus
> probably proclaimed that edict in 1611 or 1612 and few paid any
> attention to it. Fazzur probably deliberately did not enforce
that
> for the first several years of his command, but probably reimposed
> that in 1616, when Jar-Eel came to Dragon Pass. With Tatius the
> Bright as Governor-General, that edict is enforced with deadly
> seriousness.

(I'm being somewhat serious now) I've always been a fan of the Lunar Empire farming out elements of more dubious enterprise, whether in tax-farming, pogrom-farming or inquisition-farming.

As the Lunar Army and authorities are often taken up with a great many duties, and the investigation and punishment of Orlanthworshippers  in farflung wilderness steads is a time-consuming (not to say 'messy') job, some/much/a little (YGWV) of the onus has been passed to the Stormfinders: independent agents of the Provincial Church, their mandate to act in an inquisitorial manner stamped by the Provincial Overseer.

How Stormfinders operate will vary, and depends upon their own predilections, and the nature of the tribes they work among. Amongst the most cowed of tribes they are usually travel openly, accompanied by a single 'accomplice', and at most a few guards; when working among more violent folk, they might bring a whole company of troops to ensure that their methods are not interrupted.

You really don't want to know the attitude many Stormfinders take with Vingans, sadly.

Some notes on this should hopefully appear in Ye Booke of Tentacles #6.

Cheerio,

Stu.