Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:49:23 -0000

> Just how heavy is the Lunar occupation in Dragon Pass, or
conversely, how
> thinly spread are the Lunars?

Depends on where and when.

My notes suggest that Fazzur reconquered Sartar in 1613 with some 15,000 to 20,000 soldiers. In 1614-1615, the army of occupation was reduced to maybe 10,000 soldiers. This rose dramatically in 1617- 1618 (maybe as many as 25,000 may have been mustered for the conquest of Heortland) and then obviously, the numbers in Sartar dropped when the Provincial Army was in Heortland and Esrolia.

Most of these soldiers are in Boldhome and the tribal confederation cities. In some of these cities, half the population or more may be Lunars (mainly Tarshites but quite a few Heartlanders). In these areas, the Lunar occupation is extremely heavy.

In the rural areas, many of the larger settlements have a Lunar presence - especially those settlements along an important path or guarding a strategically valuable position. Additionally, there are several Lunar "slave farms" - which I think are more significant as slave pens for later transport further north.

As for patrols, small squads of soldiers can probably be found on the Royal Roads. Squads patrol in groups along the lesser roads and probably entire companies will patrol off-road. Most soldiers never patrol - that's basically reserved for the Tarshites, the light infantry and the cavalry. If there is a serious problem, a full grouping of companies or regiments will march on the location.

> I know that Orlanth worship is outlawed and a death penalty rests
on the
> heads of his priests, but how much can this really be enforced?

What that means has probably changed with time. I think Euglyptus probably proclaimed that edict in 1611 or 1612 and few paid any attention to it. Fazzur probably deliberately did not enforce that for the first several years of his command, but probably reimposed that in 1616, when Jar-Eel came to Dragon Pass. With Tatius the Bright as Governor-General, that edict is enforced with deadly seriousness.

> Are the "enslaved" tribes such as the Balkoth really under heavy
military
> domination, or is it more a case that the "hearts and minds"
battle has
> been won by the Lunars? (Or at least they instill enough fear to
stop a
> major rebellion?)

The enslaved tribes are IMO subject to direct military decrees - Fazzur or Tatius can simply make a decree and the tribe has no recourse or appeal. The "free tribes" are legally "allies" of the Empire and might have some appeal to the Provincial Overlord.

Jeff