Re: Re: Volsaxiland

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:29:14 GMT

In message <do697v+ogoh_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>So, going by what Thunder Rebels informs us that the average clan
>size is 1200 souls.

No it doesn't. It describes "Your clan" in a way that implies it is typical.

>Therefore one could assume that;
>
>Bacofi 5,000 = 5 Clans
>Sylangi 6,000 = 6 Clans
>Curtali 2,500 = 3 Clans
>Volsaxa 120,000 = 100 Clans
>
>Agreed?

You could assume that but I don't think it follows. I would expect bigger and more successful tribes to have bigger clans. Barbarian Adventures describes the Curtali as having dozens of tiny clans and the Bacofi as being substantially reduced by King Hroar suppressing a rebellion. At the same time there will be a practical maximum for clan size, above which the clan will split. My guess is that is around 2,000-2,500.

So I'd put the figures (which aren't typical Sartarite anyway) at:

Bacofi 5,000 being circa 10 clans.
Sylangi 6,000 being circa 10 clans.
Curtali 2,500 being circa 30 clans.
Volsaxa 120,000 being circa 50 clans.

Even at that size the Volsaxa are a lot of clans to be a single tribe - it's a very unwieldy structure.

The Sylangi are also odd in that they allowed Lunars to buy tribal membership. So I'd guess there are eight or nine clans which are traditional clans with a total of 4,000-4,500 members and a separate "clan" composed of assorted bandits, Lunars and other adventurers who rule the tribe. This group don't act like a clan at all - probably some combination of bandit kingdom and Lunar provincial government.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/