RE: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:26:22 -0000

Peter:
> I don't think that Orlanth is the most mythically important
> husband of Ernalda
> in Esrolia. In my opinion, the Esrolians rightfully believe
> that Orlanth is _a_
> husband of Ernalda while the Heortlings rightfully believe
> that Ernalda is Orlanth's Wife.

And they are, of course, both correct. Locally. No such thing as One True Way for the whole of Glorantha, for anything, that would be far too boring/simple!

> If so, why should Ernalda go to sleep?
>
> Perhaps because an awake Ernalda would strengthen her husband,

Oh, nice point! Yes, of course she would. Whether he's the only one or just one of several, he's a husband, so she protects and supports him.

> it was necessary to put her to sleep beforehand. Since Ernalda
> of Esrolia
> is the same goddess as Ernalda of the Heortlings, her sleep was
> necessary regardless of how important the Esrolians thought her
> marriage to Orlanth was.

Yep. All makes sense.

Do they also put to sleep the Ernalda who they've proved is in fact She Who Waits? Or has that proof not happened yet? Or was that a different lot of Lunars who this lot wanted to sabotage? That last option sounds like it generates the most fun plot and player opportunity.

> Who put her to sleep? Possibly the Tarshites.

Here I'm less sure - why do you go for the Tarshites? Did you have some particular connection in mind? The Shaker temple is hardly under Lunar control, so that won't help, will it?

Hmm, there are Earth priestesses in WW, and an earth temple. We'd been thinking that was ignored and possibly even intact, but it sounds like that will have been specifically targetted as well, and possibly even before that final strike. In fact, positioning that temple actually underneath the Orlanth temple and acting as its foundations would emphasize the point nicely.