RE: Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:37:25 +1300

Jane Williams:

>And if Orlanth is fundamentally more important to Ernalda than are the other
>husband -protectors then the Esrolians would seem to have Got It Wrong.
>Which is not a meaningful concept unless you go back to the objective/God
>Learner viewpoint of Glorantha.

I don't think that Orlanth is the most mythically important husband of Ernalda in Esrolia. In my opinion, the Esrolians rightfully believe that Orlanth is _a_
husband of Ernalda while the Heortlings rightfully believe that Ernalda is Orlanth's
Wife. If so, why should Ernalda go to sleep?

Perhaps because an awake Ernalda would strengthen her husband, it was necessary to put her to sleep beforehand. Since Ernalda of Esrolia is the same goddess as Ernalda of the Heortlings, her sleep was necessary regardless of how important the Esrolians thought her marriage to Orlanth was.

Who put her to sleep? Possibly the Tarshites.

--Peter Metcalfe