Re: A little self-conscious self-defense

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:02:43 -0000

I think this is grossly unfair Jane. Who wants to play in a game where no one is better than the player characters? Do you seriously think that folks are saying that the GM is rolling dice for a fight between an NPC and a group of mooks? Come on, GM describes it in verbally and then move on (assuming mooks are suitably dispatched). Yeah you ramp up the adjectives to give the impression of what the players characters can aspire to.

There are diferent kinds of gamers - some that take delight in being obnoxious to major NPC's to see the GM squirm. This is frankly dysfunctional play in most regards. I have a guy in my campaign Ali who was just so delighted that his character, a Colymar tribesman, got to meet and know exiled-Queen Leika of the Colymar. I guess this is a symptom of differing player priorities, which is also something to be addressed by individual GM's.

> And, AFAIK, the only person to suggest that withholding
> information from GMs is in some way a *good* thing, rather than an
> unfortunate necessity of non-infinite page-count.

The GM does not necessarily have to know everything to run the games as they are written. The information some folk want is so that you can extrapolate scenarios of their own design based on the material presented, and the material just doesn't have enough information for that. I don't think thats a problem with the material at all, its a problem of wanting to use the material for a use that it is written for.

If you ask me II hit the target for me everytime. I just don't get this continual beef, but maybe thats just me.

Regards
Rob