Re: Heroquesting

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:06:44 -0000

Rob Davis:
> Our herobands guardian is Mykka...Well, she and another character
have fallen in love and the player wants to Heroquest to bring her back as a flesh and blood woman so they can marry. Aw! :^D

Aww indeed.

I'd suggest stealing from Orpheus more or less, but basing it around Ty Kora Tek. She's some form of ghost so she never went to the underworld properly. Make sure you have the condition (e.g. never look back) which somehow will be so irresistable as to require a final roll.

Alternatively, her true body is being held by some jealous Grendel's mum-like figure in a cave. But a sympathetic Grendel's mum-like figure somehow, so there is a choice.

Either way, if the person's leaving, I'd use a couple of sessions to build it up, provided the other players like this person, then let that person showboat the final session, with other players either having their PC's in supporting roles or, better still, having them play the prominent NPC's. Could be a nice final session if each of the other players has to come up with a challenge and play 'against' the departing player, no?

I'd definitely set out early on that the final result could go either way - happy ever after versus Greek tragedy - and stick with it. Either could well leave a lasting impression. You could also end up with the player's PC becoming a spirit/daimon as a final option, joining her as it were.

I'm very curious now to know what you decide...

Sam.