Re: Re: Heroquesting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:55:47 +0000 (GMT)

> I'd suggest stealing from Orpheus more or less, but
> basing it around
> Ty Kora Tek. She's some form of ghost so she never
> went to the
> underworld properly. Make sure you have the
> condition (e.g. never look
> back) which somehow will be so irresistable as to
> require a final roll.

That was my first thought, until I realised that you'll need to get a body for her somehow. And while I can think of solutions, most are, I suspect, too "icky" for Rob's taste.

> Alternatively, her true body is being held by some
> jealous Grendel's
> mum-like figure in a cave. But a sympathetic
> Grendel's mum-like figure somehow, so there is a
choice.

My next thought was along these lines. I don't remember Mykka's backstory, but think Sleeping Beauty. Her real body's around, just under an enchantment. She's been asleep for a few decades. Just long enough to grow up from a little girl into a woman of exactly the right age for your PC.

Maybe this is find out the legend of the monster who enchants people and will only release them on *this* condition. Or maybe it's "she isn't dead, she's only sleeping", and in that case you know what Quest to look for for inspiration, don't you? Or it could be both. Maybe the being who's holding the body captive is Mykka's mother, and she will only let her go to someone she thinks is a good enough husband/protector for her little girl. Maybe the father's there, too. Orlanth had to prove he was good enough to be King of the World and Ernalda's husband - nick bits of that.

> Either way, if the person's leaving, I'd use a
> couple of sessions to
> build it up, provided the other players like this
> person, then let
> that person showboat the final session, with other
> players either
> having their PC's in supporting roles or, better
> still, having them
> play the prominent NPC's. Could be a nice final
> session if each of the
> other players has to come up with a challenge and
> play 'against' the departing player, no?

Yes, yes, yes! All great ideas.

And if the player's leaving, it doesn't matter if the character becomes unplayable as an end result. Put the stakes high.