Re: Chaos Magic

From: Light Castle <light.castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:35:34 -0800 (PST)

Sadly, I see that Greg seems to have said he will answer the "can you HQ into Chaos" on the digest, but it hasn't shown up yet.

  In the meantime, how *have* people been doing chaos magic in their games?

  It seems that chaos features are straightforward - give the creature/person some weird power as a straight ability. That's fine.

  But in terms of worshipping a cult and doing magic it seems two options present themselves.

  1. Chaos is treated like its own otherworld. In other words, it is its own system of magic and follows the general rules HQ has for that. Either:
  2. It has a 4th system for aquiring magic which does not work like the other 3 or
  3. Like the Lunar system (or at least, what we have heard of it) it uses the rules for the current 3 worlds in some fashion that may allow "mixing" magic.

  In either case, you can concentrate on it as its own magic, it will have its own common magic, etc.

  2) Chaos can only mimic and corrupt the other systems. In this interpretation, you have Chaotic grimoires, Chaotic affinities (or just gods), Chaotic spirits (and possibly Chaotic Lunar things). Someone who has concentrated in Theism is still concentrated in Theism when they switch their worship to a chaotic god and still uses all the Theistic rules. This is what I understand Gianfranco is saying.

  So has anyone brought chaos worshippers into their HQ game? How did you handle it?

  LC

Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...> wrote:

     Does that mean any Chaos magic keyword must follow the rules for the otherworld it is "mirroring"?

IMG yes.

  Chaos Features is the usual game definition of innate or inerently mundane chaos magic. The kind even non-sentient beings like gorps sport.
Chaos feature=Chaos Talents, if you prefer. But chaos feats, fetishes, charms or spells do exist and are provided by more organized chaos cults to intelligent worshippers.

Yahoo! Mail