Re: Chaos Magic

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:51:14 -0800

> They got quite powerful magic out of it, somehow.

How many "worshippers" were there, all plugging in with "Absolute Full Mindless Cooperation" on the community support table?

> The cultists did register as Chaotic, but possibly that's a result of
their
> actions,not vice versa? ISTR someone once saying that enough of acting
like
> a broo turns you into a broo, so maybe. (Deliberately not going into
details
> on the "family" list!)

Figure that if a being is spending 10% of their time thinking about, planning, or doing a specific act (like Rape or Cannibalism) then they are basically worshipping the appropriate god-thing even if they aren't attending services on the Holy Day. And if you worship, you might just get benefits, whether you are ready or not...

I wouldn't put the chance of becoming a broo spontaneously at very high for a 10%er, but a 60%er human serial rapist "subconscious devotee" of Thed...

> > Just because a magico-religious framework exists aound an
> > item, it doesn't
> > mean that the substance of the item is Otherworldly...
>
> What, not even in Glorantha? I know it's the norm over here, but there, is
> it even possible?

Yep. The example above of a mortal setting up a "magical pyramid scheme" to benefit himself is just such a case (the head of the "cult" being a ThisWorldly, not OtherWorldly, being). HQ 105 has the boxed text on Charlatans and False Belief.

RR
- Richelieu