Re: Esrolia

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:19:31 -0700

Quoting David Cake <dave_at_...>:

> Wouldn't it be a little preferable to use a word like
> Matriarch, which already has the exact meaning needed here ("woman
> who rules a family, clan or tribe"), rather than the word
> Grandmother, which in english has a specific different meaning?
> Otherwises I foresee an irritating need in the future to
> distinguish between Grandmothers and grandmothers.

That's what capital letters are for! :)
Seriously, though, youmake a god point.
But in the text I'm trying to use the terms that the Esrolians would use. I can't see anyone addressing this person and saying, "Matriarch, may I marry this man?"
Matriarch seems very formal, and while it is an accurate description of the position, doesn't seem right as an actual title. Let's see if any other opinions come in.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford