Re: Esrolia

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:36:12 -0000

> Matriarch seems very formal, and while it is an accurate description
> of the position, doesn't seem right as an actual title.
> Let's see if any other opinions come in.

One way to compromise between informal English and formal Latin English would be to utilise the Latin root in a different way giving Grandmater.
This term has the advantage of being in current use in English (all be it rare).

Another way could be to re-translate Matriarch as Over-Mother (a little formal but less so) or Mother Superior (misleading).

I personally would be happy with a formal term, it may seem odd to us, but we (most of us) are products of a patriarchy, and see little problem with formal male titles.