Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:26:27 +1200

At 07:11 AM 6/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>YGWV
>
> > I've just realized that since they are Teshnan deities, their
> > magics would be a mixture of common magic spells, affinities
> > and spirits.
>
>This statement seems to imply that because a being is worshiped in
>Teshnos its magic would be different.

It seems to imply no such thing. What is being discussed is the forms of which the magic appears in. That forms can and did change for the deities in question is explicitly stated in Revealed Mythologies p39.

> > Emilla would be closely associated with the Lopers, so his
> > magics will be about tending them and using their special
> > leaping powers in mounted combat.

>Is there a specific reference for the association of Lopers with
>Emilla? I do not recall this being so in canon.

Since the Lopers do have special teleportation abilities and Emilla is associated with Mastakos, whence the need for a canonical citation?

> > Orfeda's magics will be best about wisdom (The word "anile"
> > on which the name Annilla seems to be based refers to
> > "old women" often in a demented sense). So a social basis
> > for the cult of Orfeda will be about aged oracles sprouting
> > incoherent wisdom.

>Whereas YGWV is always true, the supposed origins of this word
>are fallacious.

Given that other gods names have origins that belie their supposed function (Vivamort, (em)Issaries etc) and that the earliest description of Annilla has the Lunars depicting her as "an elderly blind woman in blue" (prosopaedia), "fallacious" is the wrong word to use.

--Peter Metcalfe