Re: Other Orlanthi initiation rites

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:41:58 -0700

Greg

>Bemuri, eh? Yes, though in Fronela they are called the Tawari.

Bemuri is their name in Broken Council Guidebook, and I believe elsewhere. I think at one point we determined that they had a common origin. (For the sake of people who don't have these sources: these are essentially cattle-hsunchen.)

Jeff

>Contrary to well-established fan
>tradition (which I helped promote), I strongly doubt that there is
>a "Humath" cult in Ralios that has replaced "Humakt". I expect the
>Ralians worship Humakt.

Presumably you mean this as "a variant of Humakt with storm magic" as opposed to "a different name" -- while it's convenient for us to say "all storm barbarians worship Orlanth" I find it hard to believe that they all pronounce it identically.

I still believe this is a defensible variant, since it's typically presented as a variant of Humakt (about as varied as one of the subcults in Storm Tribe). I believe it was an attempt to cleanse the cult of Arkati and God Learner influence. And I think Humakt is broad enough to encompass such variation -- Humakt's repudiation of his kin doesn't necessarily mean he has to give up powers shared by his kin (after all, he still retains the same ability to kill things that Orlanth has).

I don't think it necessarily *is* the original version of the cult, and it's likely that the Heortling focus is more efficient. But to me, this is essentially regional variation.

--

David Dunham