Re: Re: Household Goddesses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 18:39:24 -0700

YGWV Quoting ishldgetoutmore <rmv1_at_...>:

> --- Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
>> Quoting ishldgetoutmore <rmv1_at_...>:
>> The association of Arnna with the treasure holder is the fact that
>> TKT and Asrelia are also. However, Arnna would be the one who holds
>> household goods safe, not the divine household though.
>
> I wonder if Arnna fulfills a similar purpose in Earth clans as Harst
> fulfills in Storm clans - maintaining clan stores and distributing
> goods according to need.

No. That's Hart's job. She is a household being.;

"Earth clans" is an interesting variant, but remember that most of the Sartarites are members in the Storm and Earth religion.

>> There aren't many, I would bet. I think that some of these are
>> mentioned in the myth of how Orlanth liberaed Ernalda from Yelm, and
>> these women help cart stuff out of the palace. The fact is these are
>> Ernalda's servants, and their myths are about serving, not much
>> else.
>
> I could see a "Mythology of the Household Goddesses" ability. While
> they may not have the myths about them fighting and conquering, they
> have the myths that explain why we do the things we do to make a
> household. They're essential to the working of society.

Yes, exactly,

>> I'd just suggest that you let the players learn about these as they
>> go. If they actually want to be a worshipper of one of these then
>> let the players learn along with their characters. Slowly introduce
>> the fact that in HeroQuest THE PLAYERS can help design the magic
>> system, and encourage them to discover what their characters would
>> want, find useful or natural.
>
> I really like this idea. Unfortunately, near the beginning it'll be
> too difficult to work, I think - I have some RP newbies to break in.
> But I'll be using this for characters made later, most definitely.

I would not underestimate the powers of new players. They are often the most innovative and imaginative. They are not preprogrammed by "trying to make it fit," which is itself often a terrible form of straitlacing.

I urge you to take the players, including the new ones, in on the crative undertaking! Sure they will be hesitant, but just tell them, "Your household ogddess here has magic to help you do your task well."

Also, it is VERY possible that all these household goddesses ae worshipped collectively, not separately. IN a large household perhaps these tasks ae isolated from each other, but for normal people there's one or two people who do them all,.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford