Re: Re: Household Goddesses

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:09:39 -0700

YGWV Quoting ishldgetoutmore <rmv1_at_...>:

> --- Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
>> > I wonder if Arnna fulfills a similar purpose in Earth clans as
>> > Harst fulfills in Storm clans - maintaining clan stores and
>> > distributing goods according to need.
>>
>> No. That's Hart's job. She is a household being.;
>>
>> "Earth clans" is an interesting variant, but remember that most of
>> the Sartarites are members in the Storm and Earth religion.
>
> Hmmm... I'm trying to understand the mythic role a devotee of Arnna
> (assuming such a hero) would have in the clan. Would it be a largely
> ritual role?

In myth, she is the keper of Ernalda's household goods. In a house, a person who took care of the goods would worship her. The ritual role would be to keep the household gods safe, know where they are, find them when lost, count them to know how much is on hand, etc.

> The Harst would account for the goods and keep track of
> expenditures versus income, while warriors would guard the stores.

Harst has nothing to do with household goods. He keeps (and trades) the clan's extra gran (and other goods). Arnna has nothing to do with the clan's excess grain. Harst has nothing to do with the housheold goods.

> Would the Arnna devotee be responsible for "attracting" or "growing"
> the wealth in the first place?

No.

> Is she the "strongbox" or "vault"?

Yes, or the "secret place" for the goods.

> Does she merely hold the "keys to wealth"?

Not really. She doesn' generate wealth, she takes care of it. She's a specific part of a a housekeeping staff, not a treasure seeker, nor farmer, nor producer of goods.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford