Re: Is There Another Way?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:24:40 -0000

> Mods? Crusties? Newbies? What do you think?
I'm not sure about this. Even when I was a newbie to the GD I enjoyed the discussions. Sure I couldn't always follow all of them because I had missed some discussions that went before but I don't think that I was put off running a Gloranthan game by that, in fact almost the opposite. So the question is to what extent the esoterica of some conversations puts of newbies?

The problem that hit this list is that every so often someone decides that a conversation is no longer fit for here and must continue on the digest. I suggest that is even more off-putting to a newbie. I have to join a whole new list just to hear the end of this conversation! Threading makes that this easier, you can ignore conversations you don't care about, but that doesn't work so well for digest mode. So these things are often handled on lists by tagging so folks can identify if they want to be involved in a discussion. So we could just tag items on this list in the subject as follows

No tag - suitable for everyone
[God Learner] likely to contain obscure debates on various points

and make sure that the FAQ and group description tell everyone how to tag their posts. Then instead of saying 'Take it to the Digest' We could say 'Flag it as God Learner'.