Re: New Law War?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:28:05 +1200

At 03:45 PM 7/25/2006, you wrote:

>For Teshnos, it displays the rune for
>Teshnos and Kralorela, and states: "The New Law War: Ancient deities
>transform themselves to overcome grim foes that rise from the Deep
>Mysteries."

I didn't think Law was a meaningfully evocative expression to use about Teshnos. It's like positing a "New Freedoms War" for Dara Happa. Something like Dharma would be far more meaningful to the Teshnans.

>Some of my thought and questions on this:
>* I presume the "Old Laws" are the Laws of Chal, and represent the
>current dominant orthodoxy that prevails in Teshnos.

>* I'm not sure where these New Laws are coming from. Perhaps they are
>ways of foreigners, who have brought so much trouble to Teshnos
>before.

Since the other rune is the Kralori rune, one could surmise that Dragons are responsible.

>* What ancient deties? Are they the Five Fiery Forms, are perhaps
>even more ancient ones? This region was reigned over at some point
>by Osdero/Metsyla, the Eagle Phoenix Emperor, before he met his end at
>the hands of watery Antigods.

Osdero took over from Govmeranen who succeeded Dogsalu the first dragon. Thus Teshnos has a history of being ruled by Dragons although they may consider it a debased and barbarous time.

>* Transformation into what? Will a new Fiery Form be revealed?
>* What are the nature of these Grim Foes? Are they the Ashurtans, the
>Gachi, or other Antigod Races? Deep Mysteries suggests to me the
>myths of Osdero and the sunken lands of Aberzed.

Given that the Wolf Pirates are in the vicinity, a suggestion could be one of them attempts to do the Orlanth and Aroka quest to find a magic against the Teshnans. Unfortunately he summons the Blue Dragon and fails to kill it.

--Peter Metcalfe