Writing for HeroWuest (and Questworlds)

From: CJ <cj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:23:49 +0100

> I'd like to see more authors, to write up all these great ideas. Unlike
big
> RPG companies, Moon Design and Issaries have no on-staff authors to
produce
> books, they rely on freelancers.

I can see you point. I have written a couple of rpg books - The Parapsychologist's Handbook monograph for Call of Cthulhu, and (with Neil) The Mysteries Revised Edition for Ars Magica. I've two more rpg books awaiting publication, but NDA etc means I can say nothing on those http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=12126 So yes I'd be keen to contribute to Glorantha, in fact I would love to...

However, a whole book? Well, there is forty years worth of writing on Glorantha, and while I have no seen all the official HW/HQ material and posess I think all the official RQ2/3 material concerning Glorantha, I am still in the process of reading and learning from the Pre-Finished Works, (I've seen most of them I think now), and when I see the level of Gloranthan scholarship on this list, and on Glorantha list, I usually feel quite ignorant. I also suspectthere may be more Gloranthan lore I am just not privy to, published in formats I may be unaware of?

I'd love to write for the line, and am used to working to deadlines, and have good reviews for my rpg writing to date, and yet so far have felt so intimidated by my relative lack of knowledge I have not even considered fan publications like zines. Surely this is the real problem with writing for Glorantha?

Incidentally, a few years ago I did click on the "Write for Glorantha" link on the webpage, and fired off an e-mail volunteering to work on ANY project which would take me as a collaborator, or write a pitch, but I never had a response. I shrugged, and concentrated on other lines, as I was not sure I had the requisite Gloranthan lore to provide a good book at that time.

Still, I'm still interested in writing to support HQ, or Questworlds, but I can't find any way to even apply to assist the Questworlds project? Is Questworlds Issaries now, or Reaching Moon - that is who will ultimately publish it?

Anyway if anyone is at all interested, I have some spare time and would be happy to try. I think some concrete suggestions about how to pitch, who to, and what is expected of authors might do much to provide a fresh influx of writers, but if the market demand is not there, well I suppose things will stay slow. I'm not going to moan about lack of new material, but I'd love to see more, even if I have to write it. :)

All the best
cj x