Re: Starting a group...

From: Rich Crofts <glarkhag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:23:56 -0000

> Starting Keyword Level: 17
> Starting "Other" Ability Level: 13
> Extra Points to Add to Abilities: 20 - with no more than 10 added
to any one
> ability
>
> This is the level of a competent, individual who is ready to start
> carreer. Like a soldier who is just out of boot camp, or an
apprentice just
> ready to start practicing his trade.

apologies for discussing this one on this list as it really is rules not settin but...

I am not sure I would agree with this description of a starting character as just out of boot camp/apprenticeship.

Virtually all starting heroes will have at least one mastery. I am not sure I have seen too many new starters in a career demonstrate mastery of any of the relevant skills. Admittedly Heroes are exceptional people but ordinary people are ranked at 17 in their jobs. So I would not rate 17 as an ability level indicating basic training complete.

I would head off at the pass any dicussion of the definition of mastery in a real-world and a Glorantha context. My understanding is that true mastery really is reflected in 2 levels of Mastery in a Gloranthan setting. So, your horsemaster, swordmaster, guildmaster, master craftsman are all sitting at 2W. But your journeyman, your professionally accredited expert will be showing that first level of mastery; and that first level of mastery is not all that far from 17.

>From a real world experience, I've rarely heard soldiers who just
finished boot camp described as "competent". Liabilities, yes. The IT graduates I've seen have been very green and not what I would call "competent".

Rich